Monday, August 1, 2016

Songs In the Night

Sang this song in church yesterday: Songs in the Night by Matt Redman. Sang this song last week as well. But I only sat down last night to really listen to this song, to really read the lyrics.


God, You can tell the waves, 'Be still,'
Tell the ocean roar to pass
Lord, until it does, I'll wait here

God, You can part the raging sea
Bring the miracle I need
Lord until it comes, I'll wait here
and I will

Sing songs in the night, praise in the storm
You're God in it all and I will stand
I'll be still and know, whatever may come
You're God in it all

I am in the storm, Lord the storm is not in me
You will be my peace
I'll wait here, I'll wait here


This might not mean a lot to many, but for me last night when listening to it, somehow gave me a sense of calm and comfort. We always ask of God to relieve us of our suffering, to take the cup away from us. To tide us through the tough times and make us a better person. But we sometimes forget that while we are in the midst of the raging seas, while we are waiting for the miracle, we have to be still and wait upon the Lord. It is not easy, no one wants to wait in the middle of a storm. The immediate reaction will be to try to get out of the storm, to run from the situation. Many times we try to solve problems with our limited power, when we need to stand firm and wait. And above all, it is an important reminder that the storm is external. We need to be like a tree planted by the waters, a man that builds his house on a firm foundation. The things in life may buffet us from left and right, but with Christ in the vessel we can smile at the storm.

And I guess my biggest takeaway from this song is that instead of complaining in the darkness, and despairing in the storm, we need to instead sing songs and give praise. Not an easy task when life gives you lemons, but knowing that even during the worst of times, the Lord is in control, gives you that much more reason to sing songs in the night. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.